Monday, January 2, 2012

Face my fears--why is it when you declare that "this", whatever "this" may be is going to be something you are ready to deal with and NOW, that you are hit with all kinds of reasons why it isn't going to work, or "you're being silly", or doubts of all kinds come rushing at you at top speed?  I had a resolution last year, that whenever I decided to do something important I would NOT tell anyone.  For as surely as I spoke the words out loud allowing others in on my battle, I would literally fall apart and not be able to even come close to accomplishing what I had declared I would do??

 I used to be able to make up my mind that I would stick to a diet and lose "X" number of pounds.  I would set my mind toward my goal and hang in there until I accomplished it.  I have failed so many times to maintain that now I am afraid to make that commitment--and that is one of the fears I am declaring today.  To say that I'm not afraid of making any strong statement concerning "diet" right now would be lying.  BUT  here goes.  Beginning today I am going to do my absolute best to totally give up sugar and white bread, white rice, white potatoes, white carbs in general.  My one granddaughter has to stick to this diet and I have been contemplating the very same one for months now, because I know I always feel better when I am committed to this food program and exercise every day. 

I'm not going gungho with the whole thing, but I have also been studying Lysa Terkeurst's study, "Made to Crave".  I am ready to make this commitment.  It's not a diet.  It's a way of life.  I'm learning that anything in my life that controls me rather than me controlling it, needs to go.  God is number one, my husband and family following, then church, community etc.  I must admit though that there have been times when I've ignored God's voice for a stack of lemon cookies.  "How terrible", you might say, but have you ever thought, "I'll read my Bible later after my snack?"  To you this may not be a problem and for that I'm very happy for you.  But for me it is.  I know my body feels better when I cut out carbs.  I know I have more energy, fewer aches and pains; so to continue eating any other way is foolish.
  

So here goes.  I've made my declaration public.  I'm letting my friends know how to get to my blog.  I will be brave!  I'm hanging on to, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil. 4:13 NLV.

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog and can relate to the pain of white foods. I have been gluten-free for almost a year now and I can honestly say that the "aches and pains" are so much better since! I do know that when I slip and have any gluten (WHITE) I will have pain and swelling, i.e. arthritis will be at an increase. It is a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Mom. Enjoy the journey. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with chocolate and carbs. I can't drink pop or coffee. I love tea and chocolate but it does a number on my insides to the point of making me sick. But there are so many good things to eat...like peanut M&M's, fudge, choc. chip cookies. Okay, I will determine to give up chocolate, cut down on carbs, and to exercise. I have started the exercise but not the others. Be strong for I have overcome the world. Together we can do it. Thank you, Lord and thank you, Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Randy, this did indeed speak to me! I don't make resolutions because I know they will not come to fruition. My late husband and I tried several times to vow to lose weight. We'd say something like, "I'm going to lose 5 pounds." Without exception, we would GAIN 10 pounds! Well, obviously, that kind of stuff had to stop! I know now it's a matter of a change of mind and a change of lifestyle, not a diet, that works for me. Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your journey, fears, and commitment with us. Excellent job writing this blog. Not yet ready myself to make the commitment to this, but I also know from past experience that it really does help you feel better, be healthier, and even lose weight just by cutting these things. So, your blog has gotten me to start thinking about doing some of what you mentioned as well. I am looking forward to reading more and appreciate how open, honest and real you were with your readers in this blog. I have also often thought about blogging. Maybe someday I will take the time to go for it. I practically write blogs on many of my facebook status updates anyways. :) Love you, Cristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Randy! I can totally relate to your fear of telling ANYONE what your goals might be. I will be praying for you as you step out with God's help on this new path. I have been on Weight Watchers online since the end of August and swore my hubby to secrecy about it. Making changes is hard so as I work through my changes I will also pray for you. Love you my friend. Thanks for your transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to each of you that posted a comment. I truly appreciate each one!

    ReplyDelete