Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to the pool

I did it today!  I made it back to the pool in Clarkston.  My physical therapist gave me two laminated sheets front and back of exercises to do in the pool.  I had been going with a friend for a year and a half before the knees gave out.  Now with my new knees I'm back at it again, only this time I'm going with two friends--and working on my sister. :)  The first couple times I always end up with sore muscles, but it's really encouraging, because I have muscles that I have been able to use and feel and being sore means they are working as they were meant to.  I may have pain in my arm that doesn't want to go away, but I'm still able to play the piano/keyboard.  I am so thankful that I can continue to play music.  

Music has been my mental therapy for years.  I can remember going home from school after a very difficult day.  I didn't always "fit in". I was one of the different kids.  I had to take remedial gym class and believe me, it does not win you the affection of very many classmates when they hear you have "remedial gym".  One of the highlights of that class though, was learning to fence.  I have always loved the "Three Musketeers" and their fencing scenes and it was a thrill to actually take classes learning all the fundamentals of fencing.   Other than that, it was very embarrassing.  When I would go home after school and listening to "comments" from my classmates I would sit down at the piano and my Grandma could always tell how the day had gone for me.  If it had been a good day--all the music I played was upbeat and happy.  If my feelings were hurt the music would be very melancholy and s-l-o-w.  If I was angry with someone the music was harsh, loud and fast.  As I played, the anger and hurt feelings poured out my fingertips.  At the end of my hour of practice the music would be pleasant and Grandma wouldn't want me to stop.  When my shoulder had to be replaced my greatest fear was that it would have been so damaged that I wouldn't be able to play music anymore.  Before the surgery it was so bad that I couldn't use it to play.  I was so grateful when the healing process enabled me sit down at the piano and enjoy the music.  I can't play as long as I used to, but I can play and for me that's something for which I am VERY thankful. 

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing. I would go home and play for hours because school was so hard. Thank the Lord for those hours of playing. I can sight read pretty well.
    Congratulations on getting back to the pool. Keep going. Yeah! And that you have 2 friends to go with you. Motivation. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete