Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday reminises

We had another family birthday celebration Sunday.  The birthday took place Friday, but we were able to all but our sons family get together Sunday afternoon.  You know, I look in the mirror and I see an overweight, not too bad looking, greying, older looking woman.  At least that's what I should see in the mirror.  But often when I look I see the same me that I've seen for 30 years or so.  To my eyes I don't see the age that apparently everyone under 50 sees when they look at me.  I was talking to my Uncle George one time about this very thing.  He said that in his mind he wasn't any older than he was at 16.  But his body betrayed him.  It kept reminding him that 16 was many years ago.  He just couldn't do all those things he had always taken for granted doing.  I was thinking about his statement and I wonder--do you suppose that the mind God blesses us with doesn't age--just our earthly bodies; and that when we get to heaven our perfected mind may still have good memories when it's placed inside an eternal body that's similar to the one we left behind.  No scripture tells us anything like that--it's just me wondering...  Five of our grandchildren now have their drivers licenses.  I remember vividly when their parents started driving.  Birthdays--they come and go and let us know how many years we've spent here.  All of us will continue celebrating as many birthdays as our dear Lord will let us before we stop counting and spend the rest with Him.   

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't read your blogspot for a while so it was fun just now going through a bunch of them. I'm so sorry for the pain you are experiencing. I do hope you can get some relief for it. So glad you can have the joy of birthdays with your family. Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete